web2tools

web2tools

Friday, August 13, 2010

#9 Virtually On Line

I am not a Resident of SL nor do I spend any time with on line gaming so this week's readings were new territory to me. So last Sunday, I thought what the heck and became an avatar! I wanted to see what the 3D virtual world offered and tried to fly before I could walk which proved to be highly embarrassing on most occasions.

But the understanding gained was important for me to clarify the impact of social networking and how it can influence education and the way students learn. Web 2 technologies are really changing the way we learn to communicate and by changing these processes we are going to affect the way student think and learn.

Gone (in some cases - going) are the days of one way transmission of education from an authorative figure to the masses to a more complex pattern of communication invoving all students along with their teacher.

But in SL, if you can dream it then it can be built by the Residents. With over 80 universities on the main grid, teachers can offer classes and tools and to engage students in a virtual world to support learning such in this video of what Boise State Uni offers students.


The whole experience of engaging in the mathematical, the arts and music would be amazing. Have a look at this video that demonstrates how building is based on mathematical principals, axes, degrees of rotation, sizing, geometric shapes that go into the making of Suzanne Vega's guitar.



1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed that you decided to create an avatar! I know a lot of people can be put off by the implications of online life but I do think it is largely fear working here. There are so many educational resources available online now that nobodies education is limited.
    Fantastic videos too:)

    ReplyDelete