web2tools

web2tools

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

#19 Rollyo

Search engines provide an important service for me as I browse the internet for the varied reasons from the weather to web2 tools in education. I like Google and its different options (like the Wonder Wheel) and have tried Delicious and Diigio for my collection of favourite sites but have never tried Rollyo before. My problem is that I end up with way too many sites and then get way too overwhelmed!

Rollyo is not really a search engine but a free utility tool that allows you, by just registering, to ‘roll your own’ so it seems to be a terrific way to regularly search your favourites all at once.

I found it to be a very simple process, in fact too simple as I just kept reading the screen to see what information I missed. Even though I was encouraged to ’choose up to 25 websites’, I was too impatient and just went with three to see the final effect. (So glad I opted for privacy until I get my act together) With my mere three websites, I can see that my main search dragnet would be my chosen quality sites and will exclude everything else. But what if I miss something?!? There I go again.

So creating a customized search roll that contains my trusted websites looks to be very useful. By allowing me to perform my searches within a limited set of precise web sites I can achieve a more targeted set of searches.

Bit like rolling out an RSS feed! AND you can add a search widget to your own blog!



Powered by Rollyo

No comments:

Post a Comment