web2tools

web2tools

Saturday, August 7, 2010

# 7 Google Books

I have never used Google Books until now. At first I wondered why I was downloading books onto my Kindle but after a bit of reading and browsing, I realized that Google Book Search was a fantastic way to browse books. Most complete books are only available to paid up users, with personal accounts, through their browser.

I discovered that many of the books come from authors and publishers who are part of the Partner Program and it they who decide how much of the book is browsable. In fact, I found it difficult to finish this post as I kept losing myself in the ultimate search tool for my favourite books in Google Books. Just found Harper Lee’s ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ and there is a selection of pages from the book, study notes - even critical reviews on racism in literature!

Google Books was an eye opener as I found the search tools an exceptional option to use so I could read before taking any big purchasing step. I could search by title, ISBN, topic and just be reading a bit I could see if this book was a worthwhile selection to buy or borrow from the library.

Sorry - have to go and add more to my Google Books ‘library’ –

No comments:

Post a Comment